LSVT BIG is an intensive physical & occupational therapy exercise program for people with Parkinson's disease and other neurological conditions. Treatments target the production of larger amplitude whole body functional movements while retraining motor and sensory systems for the effort required for normal movement.
LSVT BIG is a standardized exercise prescription that adheres to principles of practice promoting strength, motor learning and changes in brain function.
LSVT BIG is
- High Effort - multiple repetitions of whole body large amplitude functional movements
- Progressive - moving some simple real world tasks to more complex and novel functional movements
- Continuous Activity - large amplitude movements are incorporated into daily situations
- Motivating - extensive positive feedback reinforces success and teaches self-monitoring. Patients practice salient (meaningful) tasks.
- Intensive - intensive practice and effort is important for maximum plasticity/change.
Initial research funded by NIH has also shown LSVT BIG to enhance amplitude whole body functional movements for up to three months (post intervention) that include:
- faster walking with bigger steps
- better balance
- increased trunk rotation
- Evaluations Within 24-48 hrs
- Flexible Scheduling
- Personalized Care with Treatment Tailored for Each Patient
- Advanced Certified LSVT BIG Physical Therapist
- Specialized Treatment Programs
- Friendly and Open Environment
*Currently Located at our Walker Location