Yoga was first practiced in India thousands of years ago and has become a popular form of exercise recently in the United States, which is no surprise since there are numerous health benefits while engaging the mind, body, and spirit. Some main benefits of yoga are:
- Increased muscle strength and tone
- Improved energy levels
- Improved flexibility and balance while focusing on engaging core muscles that support the spine
- Can help manage stress and help you focus while decreasing blood pressure
- Improved sleep
- Yoga also focuses on slow breathing and incorporating meditation which can improve a person’s overall well-being
Yoga is not just slow movements anymore, there are many different types of yoga offered at different studios in the area. A few yoga studios are highlighted below with the different types of classes they offer:
Cascade Yoga located in the same building as our main Center for Physical Rehabilitation clinic, just west of Spaulding Rd! They offer many different classes such as:
- Gentle yoga: This class is great for someone that is older or less mobile looking for slower yoga, focusing on balance.
- Vinyasa: This type of yoga is for people that are intermediate and advanced, this class combines a series of postures while focusing on breathing techniques. This class also focuses on building strength, releasing tension and calming the mind.
- Hot yoga: This class is practiced in a heated room up to 80 degrees! Hot yoga has many great benefits as well such as:
- Achieving an even deeper level of stretching
- Sweating out more toxins
- Feeling some warmth, even for an hour at a time during these cold winter months